Responsibility for your matter
Roulla Georgiou will carry out the work relating to your matter. She has over 25 years’ experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to wills and estate administration. She has particular expertise in administering complex estates, estates with a foreign element and inheritance tax matters.
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
As every estate is different, we provide an estimate of our fees at the outset of the matter.
We anticipate this will take between 10 and 20 hours work at £250 plus VAT per hour. The total costs are estimated at between £2,500 to £5,000 (plus VAT).
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and several bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This total costs estimate is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than four bank or building society accounts
- There are no other assets
- There are no more than two adult beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There is no other tax payable and the executors do not need to submit tax returns to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Factors which may increase the total costs estimate include:
- The number of beneficiaries
- The number of assets
- The location of assets. If there are assets abroad, you may require advice from professional advisers in the jurisdictions where the assets are held
- If there is no will there are likely to be additional costs depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with
- Advising on and completing a deed of variation to the estate
- If inheritance tax is payable, advising on, completing and submitting a full account to HMRC
- If self-assessment income tax returns are required, completing the returns or instructing an accountant to complete these
- If there is a property in the estate, there may be surveyor’s valuation fees
- If the estate consists of any shareholdings there could be additional costs for dealing with the sale or transfer of those and indemnity costs if share certificates cannot be found
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included
- If a dispute arises or claims are made against the estate
- The value of the estate
We can give you a more accurate estimate once we have more information about the estate.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as HM Land Registry fees or court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Disbursements are in addition to our fee.
Disbursements payable include the following:
- Probate Court application fee – £155.00
- Additional copies of the grant (per copy) (1 per asset usually) – £1.50
- Swearing of the oath (per executor) – £7.00
- Bankruptcy search (per check) – £2.00
- Anti-money laundering checks (per check) – £4.80
- Financial asset search (per search) – £186.00
- Office copy entries (per property) – £6.00
- Post – London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors – £84.00
- Post – local newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims – Varies on location
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6-8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6-12 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-4 weeks.
Collecting the assets may take longer if there is a property to sell.
If inheritance tax is payable, tax clearance may be required, which can take several weeks. When an unforeseen complexity arises or where the way in which you ask us to proceed means additional work, we will discuss the likely impact on the overall cost and timescale with you.